Trendwatch VIII: The Star Wars Edition
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is mere days away and the hype couldn’t be more palpable. The past year has been rife with merchandise, advertising, and promotion of every conceivable kind. Whether it’s Chewbacca on a jar of Coffee-Mate or an RC BB8 droid you can buy your kids for Christmas, there’s a good chance that something in your home is branded by Star Wars.
This Trendwatch: Star Wars
This time around, we’re talking about the hype, the merch, and how to (or if you want to) have a spoiler-free run-up to the movie. Podcasters James, Chloe, Sean, and Mark take on the marketing machine fuelled by Disney dollars and break it down for everyone.
- Chloe is all about Uber Eats, an extension of the ride-sharing app that’s bringing people and food together like never before!
- Sean is loving the Star Wars: Commander game for iOS and Android – it’s like Clash of Clans in the Star Wars universe. Like any great game, it has its light and dark side.
- Mark plans his daily commute with Waze – the GPS app you didn’t know you needed, but won’t want to go without.
- James has jumped on the Prune bandwagon – the zen puzzler where you prune a tree to bring its branches to the light.
Want to learn more about what we discussed in our podcast? Check out the links below and leave us a comment about the show.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Trailer
- Coffee-Mate Tie-In Products
- Remote-Control BB8 at Toys R Us
- Overview of BB8 as a Practical Effect
- Cover Girl Star Wars Line Commercial
- Carrie Fisher on Good Morning America
- Darth Yule Log
- Reinvent Romance with R2D2 and HP
Rounding it out, don’t forget @TheGoodGodAbove’s latest:
NEW COMMANDMENT: Thou shalt not spoil the new Star Wars movie for ANYONE. Thou shalt keep thy mouth shut or get struck down by lightning.
— God (@TheGoodGodAbove) December 14, 2015