Trendwatch 003: That’s So Fandom!
This Week’s Topic: Fandom
On the latest Trendwatch podcast, the team at Innovate By Day unpacks their personal relationships with fandom. What makes a fandom? How long has fandom actually been a thing? (You might be surprised.) How do you get involved (or should you)? And the positive effects fandom can have, not only on their favourite shows, books and movies, but on the greater world around them. From Sherlock Holmes to Star Trek to Harry Potter, our Social and Digital Media pros are all about fandom. Because we don’t just curate for fans – we are fans.
Play it here, or subscribe to us on iTunes
Favourite Gadgets & Apps of the Episode
- Awesome Screenshot – browser extension gives you some beautiful, easy screenshot options! – James
- Hooks – phone app that sends you subtle, quiet notifications about things you like! – Chloe
- Photoshop CC 2014+ – The Adobe Creative Cloud version of Photoshop has just added multiple artboards, making your graphic design workflow a breeze! – Mark
- Depop – Your online store in your pocket. Post pics of stuff you want to sell, chat with sellers, conduct transactions by PayPal, all from your smartphone! – Drew
- Eh-mojis – The Tim Hortons cut-and-paste Canadian emojis app has come under fire from reviewers, but it’s super fun and cute – if a little buggy.– Sarah
Fandoms for Social Good
We discuss in the podcast about fandoms working for social good, either through organizations or via individuals. If you’d like to learn more about these people and projects, here are some helpful links:
- James Doohan – Fan Outreach
- Harry Potter Alliance
- Tyler Oakley Trevor Project Fundraiser
- Glee – Box Scene Project
- Teen Wolf – Wolf Sanctuary
We’d love your feedback! Please post below.